NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said on Wednesday that it is still unclear who is responsible for blowing up the Nord Stream pipelines last year. The investigations that are being conducted in connection with these incidents have not yet been completed, the Voice of America quotes Stoltenberg as saying. The head of NATO spoke in Stockholm before the start of the meeting with the defense ministers of the EU countries.
Earlier, on Tuesday, the New York Times reported that according to new intelligence that "was studied by American officials," the gas pipeline was blown up by a "pro-Ukrainian group."
On the sidelines of the Stockholm meeting, German Defense Minister Boris Pistorius advised the ministers not to make hasty conclusions. Earlier, he suggested the possibility that the operation to blow up the pipelines was staged in order to blame Ukraine.
Ukrainian Defense Minister Oleksiy Reznikov, who is in Stockholm, said that the Ukrainian government had nothing to do with the explosions.
"This is not our job," said Reznikov.
The EU's foreign policy chief Josep Borrell, stressing that he is not afraid of "any truth", reminded that Sweden, Denmark and Germany are still investigating.